Obesity is a condition that is characterized by excessive body fat that increases the risk of many health problems.
The problem is not the body weight alone. Obese people are more prone to diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, cancer, stroke, dementia as compared to their lean or healthy counterparts.
Causes Of Obesity
Obesity is a complex condition which could trigger from a variety of reasons. Sometimes, two or more prevailing disorders in the body can also result in excessive accumulation of weight. While sometimes it is only because of poor dietary choices and sedentary lifestyle.Few common causes are :
1. GeneticsObese parents are more likely to have obese offsprings than lean parents. Several studies in the past have proven that the obese genes express themselves dominantly onto the genes of their children.
2. Junk Food
Junk food is touted to be one of the prime causes of obesity. Consumption of tall greasy burgers, crispy fries, pasta, noodles or aerated sodas can take a toll not just on your weight but your heart and sugar glucose levels too.
3. Food Addiction
Indulging in junk food once in a while is fine. But the constant cravings and the need to appease the temptations is a risky zone.
4. Side Effects of Medication
Obesity could be a side effect of certain medication too. Certain diabetes medication, antidepressants, antipsychotics have been infamously linked with weight gain.
Insulin hormone plays a crucial role in smooth functioning of the body. It uses sugar (glucose) from carbohydrates in the food we eat for energy or to store glucose for future use.
Impaired insulin can result in elevated insulin levels, and energy getting stored in fat cells instead of it being used for other functions
. It can cause high blood glucose too, which can also trigger diabetes. This is why diabetes and obesity are closely interlinked.
6. Sugary Foods
Excess sugar when consumed, it starts getting store as fats and increases the body mass.
Excess fructose consumption causes insulin resistance and elevated insulin levels too. All of these factors combined ultimately results in obesity.
Effects on Health
A person is obese when the Body Mass Index(BMI) is 25 or greater. BMI is body mass index, an index commonly used for classification of obesity.
BMI is a person’s weight in kilograms divided by the square of his height in meters (kg/m2). The excessive body fat increases the risk of serious health problems. Some of the problems that obesity is responsible are:
1. Cardiovascular disorders
4. Chronic back pain
6. Depression – due to ridicule, social bias, rejection, and humiliation.
Few points that are a must to follow for a perfect obesity diet.
1. Swap refined carbohydrate sources for whole grains. A whole grain manages to retain all the nutrients that are processed in the refining.
Try red, black and brown rice instead of white rice .You can use these whole grains for breakfast porridge’s.
2. Just like grains, whole dals are also a better bet than the washed dals. Rajma, and chana dals are some of the healthiest dals you can fill up your shelves with.
3. Avoid red meat and opt for lean meat like chicken and salmon. Adding protein with every meal could prove to be a game changer for anyone trying to lose weight.
4. Load up on seasonal vegetables. They provide both soluble and insoluble fibres in addition to vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
5. Stay away from trans fats as they are one of the biggest culprits of growing instances of obesity globally. Fast food, instant food, fried junk, cookies, pasta, burger and noodles- these trans-fats are spread all across us.
6. Sugar intake should be less than 10% of your total calories; for a normal weight woman who needs 1900 Kcal/day, this is about 10 -11 teaspoons of sugar. Below 5% would be better. A lot of foods have natural sugar hidden in them too, so one has to be mindful of that as well.
Note : skipping meals is never a sustainable way to go about obesity management.
Obesity Diet Plan
In case of obesity, low caloric ,normal protein , vitamin and minerals , restricted carbohydrates ,restricted fat , liberal fluid and high fiber diet is given.
Early morning : any fruit apple banana orange etc.Milk can also be replaced by fruit.
Breakfast : phulka with any vegetable curry and a boiled egg can be served.
Mid morning : it can include vegetable soup as it is an appetizer and so it is perfect to be given in mid morning.
Lunch : it can include phulka,rice (half bowl), palak dal ,curry , raita . The lunch is adequate and it also give a satisfy feeding to a obese person.
Tea time : an orange can be given and also butter milk can be included.
Dinner : it can include a phulka with grilled fish or egg curry with a vegetable curry and salad .
Bed time : it can include a fruit (apple, water melon ) or skim milk with no sugar.
NOTE : Physical activity is also important to overcome obesity.