Constipation can be caused by the location of the cancer, limited physical activity, reduced fluid intake, medications, surgery, reduced or restricted food intake or eating a low fiber diet.
Increasing your intake of fiber and fluid may help you feel less constipated and bloated.
Two types of fiber: Soluble Fiber and Insoluble Fiber.
Soluble fiber is completely digested by the body and aids in reducing cholesterol, stabilizing blood sugar, and getting rid of other toxins present in the gastrointestinal tract.
Examples of foods that contain soluble fiber include oats, beans, legumes, sweet potatoes, onions, and fruits such as apples, bananas, and pears.
Insoluble is not digested by the body and is excreted as waste.
This is the type of fiber that promotes bowel regularity and discourages the development of hemorrhoids.
Examples of foods that contain insoluble fiber include wheat bran, nuts, seeds, and skins on vegetables and fruits.
When you are experiencing constipation, it may be beneficial to include more insoluble fiber in your diet to promote regularity.
Adding too much fiber too quickly can make constipation worse.
General Guidelines for Constipation.
Drink plenty of liquids.
- Fluid helps your body process fiber without discomfort.
- A good starting goal is eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid per day.
Eat 3-5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
- Prefer whole fruit instead of juice.
- Eat the skins and seeds for extra fiber.
- Try to have a fruit or vegetable with each meal or snack.
Choose foods that promote regularity.
- Eat cereals, breads, and pastas that are made with 100% whole grain.
- Have brown or wild rice in place of white rice or potatoes.
- Choose whole wheat breads, whole corn or wheat tortillas, and whole grain crackers instead of refined products.
- Eat more beans, lentils, and peas. Add them to soups and casseroles.
Try plum or prune juice.
- Start with a small amount such as a ½ cup.
- Eating dried prunes may also help relieve constipation.
Physical activity is a natural way to help constipation.
Here is a list of high fiber content foods.
- Apple with skin
- White potato with skin
- Sweet potato
Grains,Beans,Nuts and Seeds
- Bran cereals
- Black beans
- kidney beans
- Flax seeds
- Brown rice
- Whole wheat bread
- Spaghetti noodles
Diet Plan for Constipation
Early morning : it can include lemon water with honey . It can also include any fruit like apple.
Breakfast : it can include multigrain roti,vegetable(fiber rich) curry and boiled egg. Multigrain roti is included as it is rich in fiber content.
Mid morning : it can include sprouts salad or banana milkshake.
Lunch : it can include chapati,rice,spinach dal,ladies finger curry and carrot raita .Ladies finger is an excellent laxative and it lubricates large intestine.
Tea time : it can include poha or guava.
Dinner : it can include chapati,egg curry, brinjal curry and vegetable salad.It is adequate and provides good calories.
Bed time : it can include any fruit (cheeko) or Butter milk.